its all a beautiful blur











{Tuesday, December 19} hmm...
I've been strongly thinking whether or not it would actually be viable to put my car back on the road or have it sold. In order for me to get it on the road I would have to go completely broke in the immediate future, and then continue pouring half of my monthly income* into the vehicle just to keep it on the road. With bills like that, I will never afford to live anywhere but here.

On the other hand. Im currently getting along fine without a vehicle of my own on the road. I could rent an apartment for less than what I've been paying toward my car each month. I wouldnt need to move out instantly, I'd be aiming more toward the summer or fall, giving me time to save up money to buy things like furniture. Also, it really wouldnt be all that difficult to save up a few grand and purchase a used car that's a couple of years older. I would save myself the cost of having a monthly car payment, and still have the freedom I've had the past few years.

I've been weighing the pros and cons, and letting this car go is looking rather tempting. It may not be the most popular choice, but overall it seems like the more rational one.

*Between car payments, car insurance payments, and gas. Im literally putting just slightly under half of my monthly take home income into the car. Combine that with student loan, and average living stuff like food and if I want to go out, and there's a reason I've been broke all the time.


2 Comments:


Blogger Squirk said...

I've done without a car since I moved to the Northern Hemisphere.

It's not been weird at all, because the public transport is brilliant (not perfect, of course, but mighty handy).

In my home country, however, cars are much more "normal", although I do have friends that managed to slip through without driving. I would have felt weird and restricted if I was without wheels for too long.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:43:00 p.m.  


Blogger eye candy said...

The public transport here is shit, but I live in a house that currently has two cars already, and we havent had a problem working it so that everybody has a drive to, and from, work. If I were to get an apartment, it would be closer to my workplace, which is a twenty minute commute from home currently, thus allowing me (hopefully) to be able to walk to work. The only thing I would really need a vehicle for would be having to get from town to town for things (our municipality is essentially a cluster of small towns). Without having to put half of my monthly income toward a car, I could very easily get on my feet, out of this house, and still be able to have some money saved up for "just in case" purposes.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:49:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

its all a beautiful blur

I am a twenty-seven year old Canadian girl. This is my blog.

Skin and tragedy always attract a crowd. (June 18th, 1976 by Pedro the Lion)

I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
Cause these words are my diary screamin' out aloud
And I know that you'll use them however you want to.
(Breathe (2am) by Anna Nalick)


Visit Twenty Something Bloggers
Drawings To Look At
Other People's Words
Things I've Said Before
Et Cetera