its all a beautiful blur











{Thursday, January 12} 06.01.12
I had to leave work today because my vocal cords virtually stopped functioning. This does not make talking on the phone in any way easy. And we were busy. I plan to go to the ER in a bit because it has been two weeks since I was able to talk normally.

So I was reading the comments to this post on John Allison's blog and I was struck by a quote:
Then again, who's to say Blogger isn't just the 21st century version of reading aloud from your diary?
. While I dont completely disagree with this statement, I dont totally agree. Yes, blogs are essentially diaries where you pour your most intimate thoughts/feelings into, but being on the internet they are there for anyone and everyone to read. It is quite a masturbatory endeavor. There is always the sense of performance when you know that people will be reading what you write. There's the "what to share, what not to share" aspect because you cant always know who is reading. There are places like Live Journal, where you can set up friend's lists and only allow those people to view what you write, but I think that might be worse being as how you know exactly who will be reading. I dont post in my LJ, so I cant really comment on that from experience. A blog is something much more than a diary ever was, its like putting on your own play whilst naked in the rain.


6 Comments:


Blogger GeekChicOhio said...

Hi there, I stumbled upon your blog via John Allison's.

I think the big difference between a blog and a simple "public diary" can be use.
I definitely use my blog to vent feelings and for personal (masturbatory?) "talking it out" and "screaming on the internet" but it's also good for announcements, reviews/critiques of things, and such.

It's one part diary and one part newspaper.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:10:00 p.m.  


Blogger eye candy said...

Hi!

It's one part diary and one part newspaper.

I agree with that statement.

I still choose the word masturbatory because (and I cant speak for anyone but myself) there is something self-gratifying about being able to vent in public like this. Knowing that people are reading, can be a big turn on and makes you want to write more. The anonimity (spelled wrong I know) can also be a turn on, or empowering, depending on your standpoint. Also, there is also the great feeling of release (relief?) when venting something particularly frusterating.

The whole thing can be very ego-stroking, and well, masturbatory.

I swear its not just because I havent had any in a while that Im pulling out all the sexual references! I swear!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:18:00 p.m.  


Blogger Christophe said...

Ooh. Another accidental scarygorounder!

Thank God. I thought I was alone...

Hi!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:54:00 p.m.  


Blogger eye candy said...

Christophe, you make it seem like it was a bad thing.

Was it all the masturbatory references? Did I go too far?

Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:41:00 p.m.  


Blogger Christophe said...

Nah. I was just doing a skit on an old Bill Hicks sketch...

Ever hear the one where he appeals to the audience about his watching of the programme "Cops"... High-larious stuff altogether.

Nah, it's been great, keep it lewd my dear.

Friday, January 13, 2006 8:18:00 a.m.  


Blogger eye candy said...

I have never heard of Bill Hicks. I lead a sheltered life.

Friday, January 13, 2006 2:17:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

its all a beautiful blur

I am a twenty-seven year old Canadian girl. This is my blog.

Skin and tragedy always attract a crowd. (June 18th, 1976 by Pedro the Lion)

I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
Cause these words are my diary screamin' out aloud
And I know that you'll use them however you want to.
(Breathe (2am) by Anna Nalick)


Visit Twenty Something Bloggers
Drawings To Look At
Other People's Words
Things I've Said Before
Et Cetera