its all a beautiful blur











{Saturday, December 10} 05.12.10
Im glad this week is over because I cant take anymore of this.

My employer doesnt have snow days, they dont care if your road isnt ploughed, you have to make it to work anyway. There was a blizzard outside when I got up for work this morning, but that doesnt matter because I was scheduled to work. The plan was for me to take my parent's car because my car doesnt have snow tires on it yet. Yeah, anyway, I was driving along (not doing more than 35km/h the whole way) and the roads were shit. I debated turning around and going home, but I figured that the roads might get better the further from home I got. They usually do. So Im coasting down Carpenter's Hill, doing about 30km/h when this truck passes me. Friggin passes me! In a blizzard! Two minutes after that my car started fishtailing. I know from experience its just easier to let it try and correct itself, than to chance overcorrecting it and causing it to spin faster, so I loosened my grip on the wheel and took my foot off of the brake. That didnt help me and the car spun me into a bank on the opposite side of the road.

Im not ashamed to admit that at this point I was shaking and crying. A nice man pulled over and let me use his cell phone to call CAA. They told me that it would be four hours before they could get a towtruck out to me. I tried calling home, but there was no answer. The man left, he was on his way to work or something. I wasnt worried, I knew that I was safe at least. A few minutes later a van got stuck at the intersection that was maybe ten feet from where I was stuck and the woman driving it had her son get out with a shovel and unstuck her. Then she sent him over to me to try and shovel my car out, which I was sooo grateful for. Anyway he got me unstuck and I attempted to drive up the hill and go home, there was no way I was going to work at this point. The car was still pulling the whole way up the hill, so I let it bank itself across from the graveyard and figured I'd walk to Needs (about a five or seven minute walk) and call home or a cab or something. I get to needs and at this point Im already wet and cold, and naturally their phone didnt work. He tried a couple of times but just got static. This left me with one way home. I had to walk.

If you're not familiar with where I live, the convenience store that I was at is basically a good half an hour walk from home. This is on a good day, which today was not. It took me about forty-five minutes to walk home in the freezing rain. There still had not been a plough come through town, so I was walking in tire tracks on the road, and it was kind of slippery even to walk. The walk itself didnt bother me, it wasnt cold out (and I was wearing two sweaters), just wet. I got home and I was soaked through to my skin. Obviously my mother was a little distraught when she saw me walking home in the weather, but calmed down once she realized that I was alright, and she let me tell her the story. She called CAA to tell them that I had moved the car a bit while I went downstairs and took my soaking wet clothes off and changed into my pajamas.

I called work to tell them that obviously I was not going to make it in today, and then I put a load of clothes in the washer and got in the shower. Im still a little cold, but Im back in my pajamas and plan to stay like this for the rest of the day. Im kind of shaky, and hungry, and I really want a Tim Horton's hot chocolate, but there's no way Im driving anywhere today. I just want to curl up and hide somewhere, especially since hearing that they went up to tow the car, but had to get the flatbed for it because the axle is fucked. Great. I should come with a warning sticker: DONT GET INVOLVED WITH ME I WILL ACCIDENTALLY BREAK YOUR LIFE.


2 Comments:


Blogger furmommy said...

im glad to hear that you are safe! Sure the axle is fucked but your safe and now warm. Id send the bill to stream and say thanks for threatening my life cause of your policy.

God i hate stream and their policy about snow days. They offer taxi service for those in the glace bay area for free but if you get a taxi in from anywhere else, you have to pay for it and they dont reimburse you for it.

Im glad that they called and told me that i dont have to work tonight. Cause i would have had to drive to north sydney.

Saturday, December 10, 2005 3:33:00 p.m.  


Blogger the Director of Player Personnel said...

brutal. i was taking a friend of mine back home and it's amazing the driving decisions people making in terrible weather conditions. just outside of antigonish, a logging truck was passing a vehicle on his double lane (i was coming head on in my single lane) and he was well over onto our side of the road. pretty frightening moment considering how sketchy the road conditions were.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 4:37:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

its all a beautiful blur

I am a twenty-seven year old Canadian girl. This is my blog.

Skin and tragedy always attract a crowd. (June 18th, 1976 by Pedro the Lion)

I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
Cause these words are my diary screamin' out aloud
And I know that you'll use them however you want to.
(Breathe (2am) by Anna Nalick)


Visit Twenty Something Bloggers
Drawings To Look At
Other People's Words
Things I've Said Before
Et Cetera