its all a beautiful blur











{Wednesday, December 7} 05.12.07
I have a secret. Im going to share my secret. Please dont hit me. ... Im not a Christmas person. Im not at all a Christmas person. It's not because Im all Agnostic and whatnot, I dont look forward to the Christmas season. There's the housecleaning and the decorating (the goddamned decorating) and the family fights. The "helping" Mum with the baking and cooking, and trying to come up with enough cash to allow me to give at least half decent gifts to the people in my life. The whole month of December is stressful. I dont like having Christmas music constantly pumped at me. I will have four major family gatherings to attend in the period from December 24th until January 1st. This would be stressful for families other than mine. This paragraph is starting to make no sense so we'll move along.

I dont feel anymore Christmassy this year than I normally do, but I do feel less stressed. The only person that I have no idea what to get for is my brother (suggestions welcome), parents are basically done, but not technically done, and friends are done, pretty much. I dont have a boyfriend so that stress is gone. Im not going overboard with gifts this year. Dont confuse that with doing things half-arsed either. Im putting effort into it, just not to the point where I stress myself out (or go broke) over it.

See, even though Im not a Christmas person, I dont go all Bah Humbug either. I was talking yesterday with my brother and mentioned that Im not Christmassy and he was all like "Since when?". Even though I dont particularly enjoy the season as a whole, I dont like to bring other people down about it. That said, I really cant wait to get all the new clothes that were purchased yesterday. I'll totally forgive her if she doesnt get me a camera.

To make up for not being a Christmas person, I love birthdays! My birthday, your birthday, it doesnt matter. I dont expect (or look for) anything big on my birthday. I like to be acknowledged. I like having people wish me a happy birthday. I dont need gifts, or cards, or anything like that. Well I need cake, but, well, you know. I like to go out for my birthday and get completely shitfaced if I can. (Im planning my next one in my head as we speak, and its six months and nineteen days away). I like going out, or getting together for other people's birthdays. I like buying people gifts for their birthdays, as well. Giving gifts for birthdays is a lot less stressful than giving gifts at Christmas. You only have to worry about one person at a time, and not about forgetting anybody (or worrying about who is giving who gifts like Janice is worrying about this year).

The only day that comes close to birthdays is Hallowe'en. Hallowe'en is sexy. Well, my kind of sexy anyway.

I dont want to come off as whining about giving gifts for Christmas, its not anything to do with that. I enjoy giving gifts. Its just that this time of year puts a lot of pressure on people and I no longer actively look forward to it and havent for a couple of years. The magic just isnt there.


3 Comments:


Blogger furmommy said...

but you cant not like my christmas music. Its fun and mocks it. Nothing beats cartmas sings oh holy night.

i understand not being a christmas person. I only started this as of late. I dont care if i dont get all the presents finished. If i forgot you, i apologize. I just enjoy the holiday part. I enjoy the christmas lights on houses. I enjoy the opening gifts on christmas morning, i enjoy the turkey and i go overboard on christmas movies and christmas music. I tend to hate everything else about the holidays. I hate the shopping, the bitching and complaining, and i hate how ignorant people are suppose to get.

And if were driving and you ever feel like not listening to christmas music, tell me. I wont be hurt.

Im lacking the magic this year. But im still trying to keep the feeling there. I need something to keep my mind off current situations, or else i would go mad.

This whole rant was meant to say, i understand why you feel like that.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 11:44:00 p.m.  


Blogger eye candy said...

I dont mind Christmas music in small doses, or different Christmas music, like you burn. I just dont like being constantly bombarded with it, its like torture.

I think I totally forgot to mention that the part about the season that I totally LOVE is driving around looking at lights. I really need to do that sometime, maybe next week.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 6:52:00 a.m.  


Blogger furmommy said...

if im free, i will gladly drive around and cheer you up looking at christmas lights and listening to cartman sings oh holy night and south park's driedel driedel driedel.

that can be fun times

Thursday, December 08, 2005 2:54:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

its all a beautiful blur

I am a twenty-seven year old Canadian girl. This is my blog.

Skin and tragedy always attract a crowd. (June 18th, 1976 by Pedro the Lion)

I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
Cause these words are my diary screamin' out aloud
And I know that you'll use them however you want to.
(Breathe (2am) by Anna Nalick)


Visit Twenty Something Bloggers
Drawings To Look At
Other People's Words
Things I've Said Before
Et Cetera